Shropshire County Council - guidance for those who wish to marry on approved premises


1) As soon as a couple have made provisional arrangements for their marriage on approved premises, they should be advised to contact the superintendent registrar for the district in which the premises are situated at Shrewsbury Registry Office, Shire Hall, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury (03456 789000)

2) Without the presence of this superintendent and a registrar, there can be no marriage and any arrangements for the use of the premises depend entirely on their availability. It is, therefore, essential that the couple make an advanced booking with the superintendent registrar for his attendance at their proposed marriage as soon as a booking can be accepted. A fee for this attendance will be payable before the ceremony.

3) The couple will also have to give notice of marriage to the superintendent registrar (s) of the district (s) in which they live. This notice must be given in person by one of the couple but is valid for only twelve months. One of the couple should, therefore, attend the register office where they live as soon as possible after notice can be given.

4) The couple should be warned that any arrangements made for a marriage to take place on the approved premises are dependent on:

    (a) The attendance of the superintendent registrar and a registrar for the district in which the
          premises are situated. and,

    (b) The issue of the authority or authorities for marriage by the superintendent registrar (s) to
         whom the notice of marriage was given.

5) When notice is given in a different registration district from the one where the marriage ceremony is taking place, the couple will have to collect the authority before the ceremony and ensure that it is delivered to the registrar who is attending the ceremony.

6) The couple should be advised that only a civil, non-religious ceremony can be permitted by the superintendent registrar. Any music, reading, words or performance which form any part of the ceremony must be secular. The content of the ceremony must be agreed in advance with the superintendent registrar who will be attending the ceremony.

7) Any rights of copyright for music, readings, etc., permitted at the ceremony are a matter for the couple and the holder of the approval.

Please note that it is the responsibility of the Bride and Groom to Book the
registrar and not the Hotels’

> Back